In this article, we will analyze a type of protein powder supplement that is having great success at the moment, due to its intrinsic characteristics.
I’m talking about Whey Protein Isolate Powder, or WPI.
If you are interested in other types, have a look at this article about protein powder supplements in general.
WHEY protein ISOLATE: what is it
The characteristics that distinguish the whey protein isolate are the very high quality (they contain around 90% protein) and the low amounts of lactose and fat.
Here are 5 advantages of Protein Isolate compared to other types of protein powders are:
- The protein ISOLATE is fast-absorbing, therefore excellent as an aid to increase lean muscle mass
- This protein are excellent to be consumed immediately after the workout: in this way, given the abundance of amino acids that it contains, it also helps recovery
- it helps protein synthesis, increasing the possibility of building mass
- it is also great for those in a body definition phase, due to the low fat and carbohydrates
- If you are lactose-intolerant, the isolated proteins are the right choice for you, as they contain a minimal amount of lactose
Difference between WPI isolated and WPC concentrated proteins
The isolated protein is the most refined version of the concentrated protein, and for this reason, it costs even more, but it also offers advantages compared to this last one:
- higher protein content (between 90% and 94% in general) compared to concentrated proteins (from 70 to 85%)
- lower-fat, lactose and carbohydrate content
- lower-sodium content, which therefore helps against water retention
- the best amino acid profile
- a high degree of solubility
- absence of cholesterol
The Isolated protein is therefore indicated for those who want the best. Moreover, It is more suitable for those who want to be able to track all the calories they ingest and consume, because, as mentioned above, the isolates contain very little fat and carbohydrates.
How the Isolated protein is produced
The process used to obtain the isolated protein is almost always the ion exchange: the whey protein is put in contact with electrolytes in order to activate a chemical purification processes, separating the proteins from the other substances (arriving, as mentioned above, at a biological protein value of even 94% and very high solubility).
To be more technical, sodium hydroxide is added to the initial material in an ionized environment (hence the name of the procedure) that separates the proteins and leads to the final product.
However, this process also has disadvantages, namely the loss of a part of the biological structure that occurs during ion exchange, causing the loss of lactoferrins, immunoglobulins, macropeptides,` and glycomacropeptides, consequently making the protein itself a little poorer.
It is therefore important to weigh the choice of proteins based on one’s own needs and considering all these variables.
The best isolated protein selected for you
1. Scitec Nutrition – 100% Whey Isolate[amazon box=”B06XZG427K”]
I’ve already talked about Scitec Nutrition. This is one of the brands that I respect a lot, especially for the quality standard and the variety.
Their range is in fact almost boundless, they do practically everything. But let’s not digress.
These proteins cost the right amount and provide high quality. These proteins are hydrolyzed, have a high content of glutamine, less than a gram of fat and carbohydrates per serving.
The only negative note is the fact that there are only 21g of protein per serving, which is a bit low as content for isolated proteins. In any case, you just need to increase the portions a little and you are there.
Recommended taste: chocolate.
2. Yamamoto Nutrition Iso-FUJI® ultrafiltered isolated whey protein[amazon box=”B06XSNSL6G”]
Yamamoto is another of my favorite brands, quality is always at the top and never disappoints.
These proteins are produced through the ultrafiltration process, which preserves all the nutrients of the protein itself.
The proteins per portion are 26g, which corresponds to 91% of the protein content for the vanilla taste, and 87% for the chocolate taste. They are enriched with vitamin B6 to fight fatigue and digestive enzymes to favor their assimilation.
3. BIOTECH USA ISO ISO WHEY ZERO[amazon box=”B06XZG427K”]
Another excellent alternative, these isolated proteins have 89% of the protein content.
Protein additions are L-arginine HCl, L-citrulline, L-glutamine, BCAA as a support to their absorption.
Furthermore, stevia replaces the sugars in these proteins, making them the best ally in the case of a diet by definition (with the proteins that maintain muscle mass and the absence of sugar that cuts the caloric intake): hence the name ZERO.